8 “On-The-Go” Healthy Snacks
Did you know that 94% of Americans snack at least once per day? You may have already had a pretty good idea, since you’re probably included in that 94%! Since we tend to lead such busy lives, snacks are awfully handy to keep on hand for when hunger strikes unexpectedly! But are you paying attention to what you’re snacking on?
Snacks seem to have gotten a bad reputation, but that’s because so many of the foods that are commonly enjoyed as snacks typically are devoid of the nutrients our bodies need. But when you’re on the run, whether it be to pick up the kids from school, make it to all your appointments, or you just need something mid-morning to hold you over until lunch-time, snacks come in awfully handy!
There’s nothing wrong with snacking regularly as long as you’re eating nutritious and healthy foods! Problems only begin to arise when snacking gets out of hand with things like processed chips, candy, soda, pop-tarts, … the list goes on and on! Foods like these that are full of sugar and lack any protein or fiber not only don’t fill you up, they leave you craving more!
Here are a few snacks we recommend that will keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Perky Jerky. Perky Jerky is an awesome snack to have on hand when you don’t have time for an actual meal. There’s multiple flavors to satisfy every palate in beef, pork, and turkey varieties. They all make of an excellent source of protein on-the-go.
- FITCRUNCH Snack Size Bars. Filled with protein and packed with flavor, these bars will satisfy both your hunger and your craving for something decadent – without the added guilt. They’re a perfect snack to keep in your desk at work, your purse, your gym-bag; you name it. With a high-quality nutritional profile, they’ll leave your tongue and your stomach more than satisfied.
- Sabra Hummus. Made from chickpeas, hummus is an excellent snack to give you a boost of fiber and protein to help you satisfy your post lunch hunger. It’s perfect for dipping vegetables like carrots and celery, and they even come in to-go packs with pretzels.
- SkinnyPop Popcorn. Popcorn is one of those snacks that’s been looked down upon over the years, but SkinnyPop is crushing that stigma. Ringing in at only 150 calories for almost four whole cups of popcorn, this excellent potato-chip-alternative is loaded with fiber and makes for a perfect snack.
- Chobani Greek Yogurt. You may have heard about all the praise probiotics are getting in the news lately. If you haven’t jumped on the gut health bandwagon yet, Chobani yogurt is a great way to get check that box and feed your gut some healthy bacteria. It’s also loaded with 12 grams of protein for a single 5.3 ounce serving.
- Hippeas. If you like chickpeas but you want a little more crunch, then Hippeas are the what you’ve been looking for. These organic chickpea puffs come in five great flavors and vegan and gluten-free.
- Whole Fruit. What fruit lacks in protein, it makes up for in nutritional value. Loaded with various vitamins and minerals, you can’t go wrong snacking on an apple, banana, handful of berries, or a nice medley of fruit when you’re in a rush.
- Nuts. Whether it be almonds, pistachios, pecans, macadamia nuts, or a mix of everything, nuts are an excellent source of healthy fats, fiber, and protein. They’re also incredibly easy to bring with you during your busy day.